I started sewing about twenty-one years ago after seeing my child hood friend wearing her first handmade dress. I was amazed at her talent and thought maybe I could do that too. So I headed to Sears and purchased my first sewing machine. I worked on a couple of projects but never really went to deep with it. Then I got married, my machine repossessed, lived in Virginia for a couple of years and then moved back to my home in Maryland. All with two children in tow. With the third child on the way I thought about getting back to sewing and started in search of a new machine. The longer I had to wait for the machine, it seems that the price and features increased too. A machine from Sears would no longer due. I met some wonderful women at my church and they introduced me to Maryland Sew and Vac in Clinton, Maryland. Just walking into the store for the first time took my breath away. They sold Babylock machines. My first machine a Babylock BLE9500. I fell in love with it.
So I took a class here and there and eventually ended up with my second machine, a Babylock serger Eclipse. Cool now all I need to do was sew.
Still didn't happen for me but with the fourth child on the way a new machine was in order, Proline embroidery machine. All sitting and collecting dust. I have a very patient husband.
Now almost 22 years later, four children, living in Florida and practicing as a registered nurse. Working three 12 hour shifts a week children 21, 19, 17 and 14 (almost grown), I have a lot of time on my hands and three perfectly working machines and a new years resolution to get back to my crafty side.
I found a store which sells Babylock machines in hopes to put my sewing machine, serger and embroidery machine in use again. The Sewing Studio Fabric Superstore beautiful store, filled with loads of fabric, notions, patterns and sewing machines. Loved it. As I was walking in the store, trying to find my first project, getting the lay of the land and generally seeing what they have to offer I came across a bag. The mail sack by Pink Chalk Studio. The finished bag had a sign indicating that this was a class project. The bag was colorful and had zippers, a key fab, pockets and looked inviting. I knew I wasn't going to go to the class but why not start with this bag. I purchased the pattern. I learned a new zipper insertion technique and made a beautiful bag in the process. ( I've made 3 so far.)
This blog is not about the accolades I might get, not about money, I want to share my passion for sewing, my passion for learning new things and the projects I make. I want to inspire others but mostly myself to continue sewing, continue learning. If you found me you will find others. I'll show you what I made and you can show me what you made. I'll direct you to blogs, patterns, fabrics and anything which might be helpful in mine and your crafting passions. I want you to know you are not alone, you can do it, I can do it, and we will try and try until we can.
No comments:
Post a Comment